Although electrical fires are rare, they can be very dangerous when they occur. The worst-case scenario is that your property could catch fire, and you could suffer severe injury or loss of life. The following are some common signs that indicate a potential fire risk in your home and the steps you can take.

1. Sizzling Sounds

Electricity flowing through wires can make a sizzling sound, like bacon frying in a pan. While this may not seem alarming, hearing these noises from your walls or outlets could indicate something isn’t right. This is especially true if the sound persists for more than a few seconds or is accompanied by burning smells.

Another thing to note is that these sizzling sounds could result from an overloaded circuit, which becomes even more dangerous if left unchecked, potentially leading to electrical emergencies. If you encounter this issue, it’s best to switch off any appliances or electronics in the area and unplug them from the outlet. Call an electrician for further inspection.

At Dawson's Electric, we provide electrical services for Fuquay-Varina residents and the surrounding areas. We have the expertise to inspect or replace faulty wiring that could cause an electrical fire. Contact us now to find out more or to make an appointment.

2. Burning Smells

Burning smells from your outlets are another sign of potential electrical problems and should not be ignored. This is especially true if the smell persists over time or spreads throughout your home, as this can point to an electrical fire already in progress.

If you experience such a situation, switch off all devices, then evacuate the area and call your local fire department or an electrician to inspect the property.

3. Tripping Breakers and Blown Fuses

Circuit breakers and fuses are designed to trip (turn off) when they detect the presence of an excessive electrical current in the circuit. That is a safety measure to prevent further damage or injury, and it’s important to take this warning sign seriously and call an electrician to investigate.

If you must reset your breakers or replace fuses frequently, it could indicate that you have faulty wiring or other electrical problems in your home. To avoid a fire hazard, it’s best to get these issues looked at by a professional as soon as possible.

4. Discolored Outlets and Heat Sensations

Heat is a normal by-product of electricity but can indicate an electrical fire in certain cases. You may notice a warm sensation from your outlets or discolored faceplates that appear to be warped or cracked due to heat buildup.

Appliances plugged into the outlet may also be warm to the touch, indicating the presence of an electrical current running through them and potentially creating a fire hazard. If you encounter any of these signs, schedule an inspection with a professional.

5. Sparks or Flames

This is the most obvious indication of an electrical fire, but fortunately, it’s also the one you’re least likely to see. If you do happen to witness sparks or flames coming from any part of your home, then act immediately and call for help.

It’s important to note that these fires can spread quickly, so it’s best to get everyone out of the house and wait for the authorities to arrive. In this situation, your safety should always be your top priority.

6. Charred Wires

If you’re comfortable opening your walls or ceilings, you may come across charred wires, a sure sign of an electrical fire. Charred wiring indicates that electricity has been flowing through it for some time, which can eventually lead to a full-fledged fire that would be difficult to contain. It’s important to call an electrician right away and get the issue resolved immediately.

7. Melted Plastic

When an electrical fire has already been in progress for some time, it can cause the plastic components of your outlets or appliances to melt. This is because the electric current running through them generates extreme heat and can eventually lead to melting.

If you come across any melted plastics around an outlet or appliance, it’s best to call an electrician immediately. It’s also important to switch off any devices plugged into the outlet as they could become damaged due to the high temperatures.

Contact the Pros

Recognizing the signs of an electrical fire is essential for preventing potential injury or damage to your home. Pay close attention to any suspicious signs such as sparks, flames, discolored outlets, melted plastic, or heat sensations, and act immediately if you witness any of them.

At Dawson's Electric, we provide a full range of electrical services, including electrical repair, generator services, surge protection, lighting installation, and EV charger and electrical panel installation. With our team of certified and experienced electricians, you can rest assured that your home will remain safe from the dangers posed by electrical fires. Contact us today to learn more about why we are the best choice for your electrical needs in Fuquay-Varina and the surrounding area.

company icon